Last Update: 7 Jan 2022.
6.2 Permitted ingredients and ingredient limits
Quality Assured Pork Sausages / Finished product specifications
6.2.1 The following ingredients shall not be permitted:
- Head meat (with the exception of masseters)
- Liver skirts
- Blood products
- Mechanically separated meat (MSM)
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- Functional proteins and fat emulsion
6.2.2 The following permitted ingredient limits shall not be exceeded:
- Neck end (jowl meat) up to 10% of the total meat content of the sausage e.g. max 5.2% in a 52% pork content sausage
- Rinds including dehydrated rind (based on the rehydrated weight) up to 10% of the pork content of the product e.g. max 5.2% in a 52% pork content sausage
- Salt target for 2024 (sodium chloride) up to 1.31g salt or 550mg sodium per 100g in raw sausage meat with a range average of no greater than 1.08g salt or 450mg sodium per. NB – charter members should working towards the 2024 targets.
- Added phosphate (E450, E451, and E452) up to 0.5% of total recipe
- Natural and artificial colours up to legislative limits
- Sulphur dioxide up to 450ppm (at point of sale)
Copies of recipes. The site shall demonstrate traceability of raw materials used in recipe formulation. Particular attention shall be given where head meat is being used to ensure that only permitted meat is used. Dehydrated rind shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidance on rehydration rates. Analytical reports covering the scope of approved products. These shall cover the period since the last audit.